Accommodation in 2013
Helsinki Summer School arranges housing for international students. However, we cannot guarantee that we are able to book a room for everyone. In order to secure your accommodation, reserve and confirm your reservation by paying it as soon as possible. As a rule, we do not arrange housing for Finnish students and residents of Finland.
We offer three housing options: two full service hostels and less expensive one-room flats outside the city centre with limited services, but close to good public transportation and amazing Finnish nature.
- A bed in a "Backpackers" twin room at Helsinki's Eurohostel. August 5 to 23, 490 EUR.
- A bed in a "Eurohostel" twin room at Helsinki's Eurohostel. August 5 to 23, 540 EUR.
- A "Eurohostel" single room at Helsinki's Eurohostel. August 5 to 23, 830 EUR. FULLY BOOKED!
- One-room flat with kitchenette and bathroom in Pihlajamäki. August 2 to 23, 520 EUR.
- A room with a double bed at Helsinki's CheapSleep Hostel. August 5 to 23, 1185 EUR.
Eurohostel is located just minutes from the city centre in the beautiful Katajanokka neighbourhood.
- Address: Eurohostel, Linnankatu 9, FI-00160 HELSINKI,
- Website: www.eurohostel.fi
- The reception is open 24/7.
- The prices of "Backpackers" and "Eurohostel" include a daily buffet breakfast, linens, towels, and morning & evening sauna. "Eurohostel" includes in addition improved sound isolation, new furniture and tv (only a limited amount available).
- There are communal kitchens, toilets and showers on every floor.
- WLAN connection for laptop use: 5 EUR per day, 15 EUR for four days. In "Eurohostel" rooms there is a possibility to use the internet in the room television (4 euros per day).
- Check-in begins on Monday, 5 August, and you should check out no later than Friday, 23 August. If you would like to come earlier or stay longer, please contact Eurohostel directly.
- Location map
NOTE: To ensure a place at Eurohostel, you must reserve and fully pay the accommodation no later than June 3, 2013.
one-room flats in Pihlajamäki
Helsinki Summer School has a limited number of one-room flats available for rent. They are located in Pihlajamäki, which is about a 30-minute bus ride (11 kilometers) from the Central Railway Station.
NOTE: The building with the appartments for the summer school students has been fully renovated. All the surfaces are new, as well as the furniture. However, the building opposite of this building will be under renovation next summer, which can cause some disturbing noise between 7am to 8pm.
Address: Vuolukiventie 1
Service availability is limited to certain days and hours only.
The apartments are available from August 2 to 23, 2013.
The apartments are approximately 20 square metres, including a small kitchenette and bathroom.
The flats come equipped with basic furnishings (bed with mattress, table and chair, wardrobe, curtains, some kitchenware), but no linens. We cannot guarantee that every apartment has a blanket and a pillow, so please be prepared to buy them or bring your own. The maximum price of the cheapest pillow is 5 EUR and the cheapest blanket 12 EUR in the Prisma Viikki department store (close to Pihlajamäki, Viikintori 3).
The launderette and sauna are both free and located in the building.
Free broadband Internet connection (WLAN) in every apartment. You will need to bring or buy a LAN cable
There is a 50 EUR refundable deposit for the key to the flat, which must be paid to Helsinki Summer School in cash upon arrival.
Bus route 71 goes from the Central Railway Station to a bus stop that is very close to Vuolukiventie.
We recommend that you buy a ticket valid for travel on all forms of public transportation for the duration of your stay in Helsinki. The cost of a student ticket for 3 to 24 August is about 50 EUR.
NOTE: To ensure a place at Pihlajamäki, you must reserve and fully pay the accommodation no later than June 3, 2013.
NOTE: If your course is held at the Otaniemi campus in Espoo, it may take up to an hour to get there by bus from Pihlajamäki.
Pihlajamäki is renowned for its 60’s style architecture and even has it’s own architectural path.
- Address: Sturenkatu 27 B, FIN-00510 Helsinki
- A self-service Hostel.
- A room with a double bed (for 1-2 people).
- Bed linen is included (bring your own towel).
- 4 bathrooms and showers across the hallway.
- A fully equipped kitchen with a fridge, an oven, a microwave, and kitchenwear.
- The hostel provides a large common room and dining room.
- 4 bathrooms and showers across the hallway.
- Free WLAN connection.
- Check-in begins on Monday, 5 August, and you should check out no later than Friday, 23 August. If you would like to come earlier or stay longer, please contact CheapSleep directly.
NOTE: To ensure a place at CheapSleep Hostel, you must reserve and fully pay the accommodation no later than June 3, 2013.
How to pay
All accommodation fees must be paid in advance. The final deadline for the payments is June 3, 2013. You can make your payment by credit card or bank transfer.
Organising your own accommodation
You can, of course, also arrange your own accommodation.
Hostels in Helsinki
Search hostels in Helsinki